Welcome to Koh lipe island. If you search through the internet about this small Thai island in the Andaman sea, you will read about beautiful beaches, turquoise water, stylish resorts and bars with high instagram ability. Sounds like paradise? Well for many it probably is, but for us it came very close to the notion of paradise found paradise lost. However, we might not have found our paradise, but we found a delicious sweet for our sweet bucket list instead – khanom babin, a coconut pancake.
The coconut pancake stand
Probably the only authentic encounter that is left on Koh Lipe island is the coconut pancake/donut stand and its lovely owner. Between all the souvenir shops and western restaurants he immediately caught our attention and we could not resist tasting these sweets he was selling.
A Sunday brunch with coconut pancakes
They are simple to make and have a chewy consistency with a sweet coconut twist. Sounds mouth watering, right? We think so too and believe that this vegan friendly recipe is such a great alternative to usual pancakes. It is definitely worth a try for the next meal or Sunday brunch.
- Mix all dry ingredients
- Then add the coconut milk and stir it well
- Let the mixture rest for ten minutes
- Meanwhile, pre-heat a pan on medium heat and wipe it with a tissue soaked with coconut oil
- Place one table spoon of the mixture per each pancake into the pan and let it fry for 1 to 2 minutes each side
- Put them aside on a separate plate but do not put them on top of each other
- Let them cool down a bit.
Video tutorial: how to do coconut pancakes
We hope you liked our brief insight into the sweet Thai kitchen and love to welcome you with other delicious recipes and back soon here at the sweet bucket list!